Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sophisticated

My new work space makes me feel so sophisticated and grown up that I even got myself a glass of wine (which I never do on weeknights) and now I'm sipping it feeling like a real professor. Maybe I'm going to read some Baudrillard before going to bed.

Back in grad school, our department of Spanish was a party-till-you-drop place. We had the greatest parties ever. We drank, talked, argued, danced, sang, and generally had a really crazy good time. So once, at about 2 am, we decided to drop by a party of our colleagues at the Department of French. When we got there, we realized that cultural differences run deep. The lights were dimmed, there was quiet classical music playing in the background, some candles. Our colleagues, all dressed in black, sat around with small glasses of wine and quitely discussed Guattari and Baudrillard.

I never went back to one of their parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment