Thursday, April 21, 2011

Voting Conservative

So it seems like my entire family is planning to vote Conservative in the upcoming Canadian elections. Even my sister who is a passionate feminist and whose worldview is extremely progressive is going to support the Conservatives in the elections. When I ask my family members why they want to vote for the Tories, their unanimous answer is the economy.



Canada did very well in battling the consequences of the recent global economic crisis. The real estate prices keep growing and the employment situation is robust. My sister has her own job recruitment agency and she tells me that candidates feel so secure that they often simply fail to show up for interview for fantastic job positions. Clients who have openings in their companies are so numerous that my sister's agency practically has to beat them off with a stick. The government keeps handing out really substantive grants to scholars in the Humanities. In short, people are not hurting economically nearly as badly as in the US. The Conservatives were in power during the crisis and this is the result.



So my question is: what do I tell people as to the reasons why they shouldn't vote for the Tories? I can't tell them to forget the economy and vote on ideological grounds. I have spent countless hours (including on this very blog) bemoaning the idiocy of the people in the US who routinely vote against their own economic interests because they believe that anti-abortion laws are more important than job creation.



Does anybody have any suggestions for me? You don't have to be Canadian to offer advice on this topic. I'm not proprietary about my Canadianness. :-)



Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment